CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Deceptively Delicious Potato Soup


So, it finally got cold last night and I was NOT in the mood for anything... really. I knew I would be hungry (being pregnant does that to ya) but I didn't know what I wanted. I searched in pantry, that pretty much had nothing, then I searched in our fridge, and came up with Buttermilk, garlic, and cheese? Potato Soup is all I came up with.

I got the recipe from Deceptively Delicious but to be honest I didn't really care for it. Now, I do
have to preface this by saying, I have never eaten potato soup so... I don't really know if it was good or not? My hubs liked it so I thought I would share it with you and if you try it out... let me know? I did add a couple things, but they can be removed if you are a vegitarian.


Potato Soup
Serves 8


4 Slices of bacon
1 small onion
1 clove garlic, cut in half
2 (14 ounce) cans reduce fat, low-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds potatoes, and kind, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup cauliflower puree
1 1/2 cups butternut squash or carrot puree
1 cup lowfat buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
store bought croutons (optional)

Cook bacon in medium heat pan until very crispy. Remove bacon and remove grease, leaving 2 teaspoons of drippings. Add onion and garlic to drippings, and cook, stiffing occasionally, until onion is soft but not brown, 5-6 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic!

Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Carefully spoon mixture into a blender or food processor and add the vegetable purees, buttermilk and salt. Puree until smooth. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese, bacon, and croutons.

*Here is what I found out... after you blend everything it comes out very fluffy, like there is a lot of air in it. If you like that texture, serve. If not, I would put it back in the pan, I would turn it on low and stir to release some of that air.
*Also, be careful if you don't have low-sodium chicken broth. Do not add salt until you have tasted it.

Enjoy... or at least... tell me what you think!

0 comments: